icon-abouticon-user-tie

Am I eligible?

Although entry requirements for most apprenticeships are not just based on academic achievement, you will need to show you are eligible to receive government funding. The basic requirements are that you are 16 or over, you live and predominantly work in England and are not undertaking any other funded programme. Your full eligibility will depend on your individual circumstances including qualifications held and experience. Our expert team are standing by to advise you.

In taking an apprenticeship you must be able to learn substantive new knowledge, skills and behaviours. You should also be committed to completing the apprenticeship, be prepared to study, accept your responsibilities, are able to work as part of a team, be willing to learn and try new things, and use your own initiative.

How does apprenticeship funding work?

If you’re an employer with a pay bill over £3 million each year, you will pay the apprenticeship levy from 6 April 2017 to HMRC through the PAYE process, and use these funds to pay for apprenticeships.

Those employers who don’t pay the apprenticeship levy, will share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with government – this is called ‘co-investment’. The co-investment rate has changed for new apprenticeships starting on or after 1 April 2019. Non-levy employers now pay 5% towards the cost of apprenticeship training. The government will pay the rest, 95%, up to the funding band maximum.

Will I get paid?

Yes, all apprentices are employed and receive a wage from their employer. Terms and conditions will depend on each employer. However, the National Minimum Wage for apprentices is currently £3.90 per hour (subject to change) and applies to all 16 to 18 year olds and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship.

Please see National Minimum Wage or a Guide to Apprenticeships for more details.

If I have a grievance at work who do I speak to?

As an employee, you have rights. If for any reason you feel you have issues about your employment you should raise your concerns with your employer and use your company handbook. Further advice on your rights and responsibilities can be found at ACAS.

Should my training be included in my hours of work?

Yes. Your Apprenticeship is a work based qualification that must be completed during your normal paid working hours. This includes off the job and on the job training, assessment, and research. You should not be asked or told you have to complete your apprenticeship on your days off.

Do I get holidays?

Yes. Although your holiday entitlement will depend on your terms and conditions, for example if you work part time you will be entitled to a minimum entitlement. An overview and holiday calculator is available at gov.uk

What is the structure of an apprenticeship?

There are two types of apprenticeship – frameworks and standards – each have a different structure. Our expert team are standing by to advise you. Some apprenticeships require an assessment at the end of the programme to assess an apprentice’s ability and competence in their job role.

If I already have some qualifications will they count?

We will ask you to tell us about your previous learning and all certificates you hold so we can explore with you the best options for your Apprenticeship and ensure we recognise your accomplishments so far.

Who can I turn to for help?

Throughout your apprenticeship you should consult your employer for help in the first instance, but you will also have access to a tutor from Release Potential who will support and guide you. You will also be provided details of the awarding body, Education and Skills Funding Agency and the Apprenticeship service helpdesk.

What is NAS?

The National Apprenticeship Service (NAS) supports and co-ordinates the delivery of apprenticeships throughout England, and provides a dedicated, responsive service for both employers and learners.

How long will it take to complete an apprenticeship?

The length of an apprenticeship is be dictated by a number of factors. They include weekly hours worked, level, type and industry/sector. The minimum duration of an apprenticeship is 12 months.

Other Useful Websites